Tuesday, November 27, 2012

In the Holiday Spirit . . . Really?



So I started my holiday decorating this past weekend; somewhat of a first for me to start so early . . . I usually let Dec. 1st mark the start of the season. I tell myself that I like to keep the holidays separate from one another, letting Halloween stretch into the first week of November, then Thanksgiving gets it's proper due well before Christmas gets going. But this separation is just a fallacy, as noted by the many Halloween-themed ornaments hung from our tree each year (I do love my Halloween)!

But this year's different. Trick or Treat was delayed to Nov. 10th due to Hurricane Sandy and an early snowstorm, so Halloween lost some of it's luster this year. Sad - I didn't even trot out the bewitching table display. Thanksgiving was very nice, spent with friends, but with Bill being a self-proclaimed Christmas-in-July person, I couldn't deny him his decorations a moment longer.


So here's a few snapshots of some of our decorations. I like to make little scenes from our assortment of vintage and other decorations;  in this case, size doesn't matter.  Tiny polar bears dwarfed by giant Christmas children mailing letters to Santa? Sure!  Mini elves astride a monstrous moose? Why not,  I say.


The elves are particularly disturbing, but fascinating at the same time. There seemed to have been a time (late fifites?) when plastic scary-faced elves ruled. They appear to be making a come back these days, what with elves on shelves, elves portrayed by Will Ferrell (I know what you're thinking, but this movie is now a classic in our house. Really,. OK, so it's no Lincoln, but we watch it every year. Of course, we watch Tod Browning's Freaks every year too, so you take your chances with our movie recommendations).  Anyway, elves in small doses can be a good thing.

 So, I hope to share more of our Christmas decorations in the coming weeks. Let the games begin! We're just getting started:-)

2 comments:

  1. What fun! I love your comment about scary faced elves! We are minimalist in the decoration department, but I do love to see what other people do. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Elizabeth! Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with those elves . . .

    ReplyDelete